With a lockdown lifted, the final stage of the Dublin lockdowns saga is about to begin.
The last lockdown on Monday was lifted by the gardaí after an overnight standoff in which several people were arrested.
The lockdown was announced in a series of tweets by the National Crime Agency which said that garda and other emergency services had managed to quell the violence, but that the police presence had been increased by more than 700.
The garda commandos, led by the Chief Superintendent of Police, were deployed in Dublin, Ballinamore, Dublin Castle and other locations.
A number of lockdowns were declared in other areas.
There were reports of arrests of young people, as well as a number of assaults on police.
More than 1,500 police were deployed, while the number of garda firearms officers was increased from 2,500 to 3,000.
The police said there had been no reports of any injuries to garda officers.
The Garda Síochána said in a statement that the lockdown had ended and that police had taken action in response to the threat to public safety.
It said the Gardaí had responded to a call for assistance and arrested a number, including a man suspected of assault and threatening garda cars with knives.
“This man was arrested for public order offences.
He has been released on bail pending further enquiries,” the statement read.
Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan said there was no immediate threat to the public.
She said that in light of the “increased police presence” in Dublin and other areas, it was important to reassure the public that they had not been targeted by anyone and that gardai were working in full co-operation with the police.
“Gardai are working alongside the gardai and the police to maintain public safety,” she said.
The lockdown is the latest in a string of attempts to shut down the city’s streets, which have been in place for a number or years.
Last year, a police operation led to the cancellation of nearly 3,500 public events, including festivals, sporting events, concerts and cultural events.
In the summer of 2015, police were accused of using excessive force against an elderly man who resisted arrest.